This site doesn’t allow pinning to Pinterest or posting of any content by secondary parties to Facebook or MySpace. Any infringement of copyrighted property will be met with a) a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice, b) a bill for usage of any images and c) a potential lawsuit for copyright infringement. Spam comments will be deleted (links to other services not related to photography are not welcome in this blog; please e-mail me prior to posting a comment containing such links. I do not support any links to secondary photography services that do not offer customer service guarantees). Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, April 22, 2011

You can even see Raptors close to home.

This is an area just along the 8900 Block of 128th that has high tension high-voltage electrical wires. The ground has a lot of scrub-brush and grassy area which is great for feral rabbits to hide in. Thus we get a lot of predators. This place is a 15-20 minute walk from my home.

Photobucket
The Mapquest map showing exactly where I'm talking about.

Photobucket

I walk along here on my way to and from Walmart and when I started carrying my camera around (still kicking myself for not taking my 70-300 or 70-200mm lenses with me yesterday) you see some very interesting wildlife. I have yet to come across a coyote, but they are there. I've seen red-winged blackbirds in that particular area, feral rabbits, ravens, hawks, and one juvenile Great Horned Owl. I've also had the opportunity while walking along the path to see high up in the sky two bald eagles soaring and getting harassed by crows.

07-12-2010_redwingedblackbird3

Photobucket

Yesterday, I witnessed this hawk while walking home while having my D300s and my 50mm f/1.8 lens. So I shot with the limitations of the lens that I had with me.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had a re-encounter with the hawk farther along the path when it was sitting in a tree being dive-bombed by crows who wanted it out of their nesting area.

Photobucket

All in all, Surrey has some wonderful hidden treasures and despite the gross eyesore of the high-tension wires, this "hidden treasure" has brought in some of nature's interesting wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment