This site doesn’t allow pinning to Pinterest or posting of any content by secondary parties to Facebook or MySpace. Any infringement of copyrighted property will be met with a) a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice, b) a bill for usage of any images and c) a potential lawsuit for copyright infringement. Spam comments will be deleted (links to other services not related to photography are not welcome in this blog; please e-mail me prior to posting a comment containing such links. I do not support any links to secondary photography services that do not offer customer service guarantees). Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Possible Wait For 600mm (after putting in order)

It seems rather worrisome that Nikon has limited quantities of their Nikon 600mm f/4 VR lens. Considering that I'll be saving up 3 years (36 months) for the lens, it's not too reassuring to know that I may be waiting another 18 months on top of that just to get the lens in my hands. However, the rewards once I do have the lens in my hands will be one of clear raptor shots that I can focus quickly and with the help of a TC-14EII, I'll be able to hone in on a frame-filling shot than trying to crop to a more pleasing image.

Evidently from what I have heard from crawling around the internet, is that there is a wait time of between 9 months and 18 months, from the time you put in an order to the order being filled and the lens in one's hands. However, during that time, I suppose that I should get my supports and teleconverters in order while continuing to save up $302.00 a month. This way, I will have the TC-14EII, the TC-17EII, the Gitzo SGT5562 and Jobu Black Widow BWG-Pro2 gimbal in hand by the time that the 600mm f/4 lens gets into my hands. As far as saving up for the 600mm f/4 is concerned, I have either the choice of creating a business account with a camera store and depositing cash into it every month (which won't have any interest accumulating or I can go with ING Direct with either a Investment Savings Account or a Tax Free Savings Account. Here is the ING Account calculator (copyright ING Direct.ca)


I am looking forward to the capabilities of this lens and the fact that the Great Blue Heron at Green Timbers Urban Forest Park won't be able to hide out amongst the reeds any longer. I'll have enough reach to nail a shot of him from shore, as we're not allowed to go crawling in the lake and ticking off the members of the Green Timbers Urban Forest Society.

In the interim, I will just make do with the Nikon 70-200mm VRII and the doubling capabilities of the TC-20EIII (come August 2012) to get some decent duck shots. And quite possibly do a nice little Stanley Park crawl. I'll also see what shots I can get at an initial visit to Reifel.

Update at 1410hrs (2:10 PM): Called Lens & Shutter. Hypothetically if I was able to put in an order today, they could have one in my hands within a week. Let's hope it's that quick come 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment